How To Maintain Your Double Glazing
Everything lasts better if it is well looked after and given the right kind of TLC. Double glazing is no different – an annual ‘spring clean’ will keep your windows in good working order.
While PVCu and aluminium frames are virtually maintenance-free they do need a little attention as outlined below.
Maintaining Your Double Glazing
- Conservatories are exempt provided they are separated from the rest of the building (for example by doors) or they are unheated
- Hinges and mechanical parts such as locks will need an annual clean and light lubrication
- Do not use oil to lubricate squeaky hinges (or any nylon moving parts), use a furniture aerosol wax spray instead, which contains silicon
- Never use washing-up liquid in the water when cleaning your windows as it attacks and degrades the seals. Use a special cream cleanser to wipe down white PVCu (no abrasives should be used on wood grain), following the instructions on the container
- Keep sliding patio door tracks brushed clean of mud, grit and dust but do not lubricate the track
- Make sure there is a key in each room for undoing security-locking windows in the event of an emergency.
Timber frames will need re-painting every three to five years or, if you are using hardwood, oil or varnish as appropriate.
Silver aluminium can be cleaned with Solvol Autosol aluminium polish, available from motor accessory shops.
Touch up damaged white aluminium with Humbrol white paint
Scratches on double-glazed sealed units are bad news and can be dealt with by:
- Filling in the scratch in with a resin (try the kits sold in motor accessory shops to deal with windscreen scratches) that has the same refractive index as the glass, so the scratch no longer shows.
- Polishing the scratch out with a very fine abrasive such as Ceria (cerium oxide) or jeweller’s rouge (iron oxide). Never use products like Brasso Duraglit or any kind of abrasive papers.
- If all else fails, replace the sealed unit.
Click here for more information on double glazing repairs
Double Glazing Maintenance Top Tip
An annual ‘spring clean’ maintains PVCu frames but beware, washing up liquid degrades window seals.